Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Less than 500 days to go

That may seem like a huge number to some, but when I first figured out how to put a countdown clock item to my blog, the number was just over 900 days.  And honestly, that doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

There is one more week of school left, and this term is finished. 

That means that after next week, three terms remain.  In more concrete numbers, that means only 36 more weeks of classes.  36 weeks of education stand between me and being allowed to say, "I'm a nurse."  Its scary to think of how much I still have to learn, and how little time is left.

Nursing school gives you the basics to go start your practice.  Reality will be very different, and truly becoming a nurse comes over time with experience.  I imagine the first couple years out of school will be THE biggest learning curve of my working life, and probably the most stressful too. 

I have two more shifts this weekend -- my last two in L&D.  How I'm going to miss that!!!  Next term will be mental health and a rotation on an adult medical floor.  Meh.  I'm open to every experience and hope to get the most out of both rotations, but I know that those areas of nursing are not for me.  Kids and babies and labouring moms are my nursing niche.  :-)

Back to reality.  I have a presentation to draft now and to give next week.  I've got to focus on the 'here and now', so I can actually carry on to the next three terms, and not just think about them!

This has been (well, still is), one of the busiest 12 weeks of my life.  It's almost over, and I'm still smiling (most days, anyways!)  Lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment