Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Another great delivery!!!

Wowie!!!  I had another fantastic shift in the birthing unit last night.  I left the hospital after midnight, and practically floated home.  I learned SO much yesterday about fetal monitoring, reading the heart-rate strips, re-positioning baby inside by mom changing positions, about adjusting epidurals and Pitocin drips, about dealing with labouring moms who aren't the most engaged in the labouring process (puts my first-career diplomacy skills to good use!!!  Looks like that's a 'transferrable skill' I'll be using often as a nurse!). 

And I also learned how much I still need to learn.  I mean I totally realize that nursing school can only teach us so much -- the basics, so to speak.  But real life work experience in the first couple years out of nursing school are going to be a learning curve all of their own. 

Bring it on, I say!  One step at a time.

And thank you to allnurses.com for the following laugh, which exactly sums up how I feel in clinicals.  And apparently that tome is just Volume 1! : 

No comments:

Post a Comment