Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

First patient death

Today was an emotional rollercoaster, as I experienced my first patient death.  He was palliative yesterday on my shift, and today was his last day.  I'm still processing everything that I saw today, from seeing him mobile and active a mere two weeks ago, to seeing him being zipped up into a body bag by the funeral home staff.  Powerful stuff.

Another patient also had a fall today, so I got to perform the neuro assessments according to the facility protocol.  For the first hour, the assessment was to be performed every fifteen minutes.  It was all so new to me, that I barely finished one assessment of vitals, when it was just about time to do the next set of assessments!  I am pleased to say, however, that I got much faster the more times I did it.

With all the goings on, I didn't have a chance to do my medication administration today.  That will wait until next shift.

I almost felt like a real student nurse today!

No comments:

Post a Comment