Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Transitions"

Many years ago, I was given an excellent book by a career counsellor at work (see, this career change is truly not a spur-of-the-moment, mid-life crisis!).  It is entitled, Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes, by William Bridge (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/073820904X/williambridge-20)

Very recently, I was reading another book, about transitioning from being a nursing student to a 'real' nurse (yes, I know I'm a bit ahead of myself -- not quite there yet!  Lol!).  In this book, I came across a Bridge quote, which summed up exactly how I am currently feeling about waiting for this career change to begin.

"Bridge (80) recognizes how vulnerable we are during transition, when the past has receded and the future has not yet arrived." 

This EXACTLY summarizes where I'm at right now.  The known career path, the one one I expected to remain (grudingly) on until retirement, is receeding.  I know with certainty that I cannot stay on the path I'm currently on, so the known is receeding, but the future has definitely not yet arrived, in that I have no idea yet if I'm actually really going to be following this nursing career dream.  And I guess what makes it most frustrating at this particular stage, is that there is truly nothing I can do about the future, except wait for others (on the admission committee), to decide it for me.

I must admit, that this "wait to see if I get accepted and then hopefully actually starting school" phase is extremely long, and even somewhat frustrating, and leaves many opportunities for self-doubt about the whole idea to go back to school, start another career from scratch to become a nurse. 

Happy New Year -- here's to sustained optimism, new starts, career passion and good health to all!!!

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment