Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Waiting is the hard part

After so many years of thinking and dreaming about changing careers, I finally took action and applied to nursing school.  That felt great, if somewhat surreal.  Now comes the long wait, and I wouldn't exactly put 'patience' on my top ten list of outstanding personal qualities.  The decision to change has been made after so many years of waiting -- and I am ready to jump in right now!


It turns out I have to wait until mid-November, just for the University to put my application into their system!  The University has certain programs that have a January intake, so they are currently concentrating on processing those applications.  The BScN program I have applied for, only has a September intake class, so those applications are (understandably) somewhat of a lesser priority for the University right now.  I just want to see something official that says I have truly applied to the nursing program!  Yes, I have a photocopy of the stamped date of my application form, but that doesn't feel official enough.  I want an acknowledgement saying that, "We have received your application for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at XXX University...."  I am still waiting for the one transcript I requested, that I know I have to submit to make my application file complete.  Hopefully that will come in the next week, then I can check off the last remaining item to submit.


Waiting is not easy.  However, luckily, I have a very busy home life and work life to keep me well occupied.  However, during the work day, I often find myself wishing it was nursing classes I was focusing on, rather than the job at hand. 


It is also very difficult not to talk about this with my colleagues and friends.  Two very trusted colleagues know of my plans, and several close friends know.  Apart from those people, however, I am not saying anything to anybody else.  I just want to have that acceptance letter in my hand -- to truly know that his change is happening, before I (finally!) start sharing my news with people.


On an unrelated note, I found several websites that specialize in 'future RN' items one can purchase, such as various pieces of clothing, travel mugs, bags, fridge magents, etc etc (you get the idea).  Some of the items made me laugh.  One was a T-shirt that said, "Pity me.  My wife is a nursing student.", and a button that said, "Be nice to me...I could be your nurse one day."  I think when my acceptance letter to nursing school comes, and my upcoming career change becomes public knowledge at work, I will print up the latter saying, and hang it on the door to my office!


I'm also following media coverage of the current cholera outbreak in Haiti.  How ready I would be to jump on a plane and start helping out.  Back in January when the earthquake hit, and I was watching the coverage of that, and I literally had a 'dull ache' inside, as I was so desperately wanting to go help give medical assistance there.  My first aid skills and many hands-on experiences with the St. John Ambulance Brigade just aren't good enough qualification to go help in a situation like that!  Nursing is a career I will never, ever retire from.  Our dentist organizes volunteer dental clinics in South America, and I've already told her that in 2015 I'll be able (medically certified to help) and willing to join her on one of her trips.


Here's to waiting, waiting, waiting, hoping and dreaming.....

No comments:

Post a Comment