Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Post Op +2

Second full day post dental surgery.  The procedure itself was actually OK.  The dental surgeon and her assistant were very gentle and kind, and answered all my last minute questions and explained things thoroughly.  Even though I probably had about 15 stitches in two parts of my mouth, I left the clinic thinking that wasn't actually so bad!!!

I came home, rested, slept, rested some more and started getting hungry. 

And then, the freezing started to wear off.  As more and more feeling returned, the worse it got, and the hungrier I got.

So I'm not here to complain, and many people have much worse procedures done every day.  But what I wanted to say was that I see this as a good learning experience for my future career.  I've been extremely lucky and blessed, having had no first-hand experiences with medical procedures.  Childbirth three times, a miscarriage, and my wisdom teeth removed and this gum graft, are about the extent of my medical history. 

This experience made me appreciate just how sore and awful a person can feel, after even a smaller surgery.  I'll remember this feeling as I venture into my career, and keep it with me when I'm dealing with post-op patients.  Even a little bit of understanding and insight can go a long way in terms of compassion.

Now if I could just start eating regular food again....

No comments:

Post a Comment