Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

NCLEX booked!!!!

I cannot believe the absolute final step of this nursing school/registered nurse journey is now official.

My exam is set for July 28, 2 pm.

We were always told that we get to choose our date/time for the NCLEX exam, which is a major change from the Canadian Registered Nurses Exam (CRNE), which was only given 3 or 4 times a year. As of 2015, all Canadian nurses must write the NCLEX to become registered. So we are part of the new cohort for this license.

Back to booking the exam...yes, it is entirely true that candidates get to choose the date/time of the exam. However, what we weren't told, was that it is only offered sporadically! So we choose the date that works for us, among the slim pickings of it being offered.

When I went to book my exam, I had the choice of either June 24-26ish, I don't remember exactly, but it was definitely too soon, or the next available dates were July 27, 28. The one offered July 27 was to be written at 8 am, and I definitely not a morning person!!! I thought back to all the sleepless nights I had before dayshifts, stressing that my 2 or 3 alarms had failed and was wondering what time it was. Crazy, sleepless nights those were. And there is no way I'm subjecting myself to that before the most important exam of my life, when there are alternatives!

So 2 pm, on July 28th it is.  Yay! Later than I'd hoped, but still, yay!

And I must say I've ordered the Saunders book and online package for RN-NCLEX prep, and I think it is absolutely amazing! They provide you with a personalized 6 week study schedule based on an assessment test. I think the book is really well written, the online questions re-inforce what you've just learned, and they have lots of quizzing options.  I've heard lots of good things about many prep courses, but for me, this one rocks! I already feel confident that July 28th will go great.

(Full disclosure -- no, I am not being paid to write this brief review, sadly!)

The job situation is a bit discouraging, when one chooses a consolidation placement that really wasn't a good fit. I mean, the people were awesome, I did learn a lot and did a variety of tasks, but ultimately, I belong in acute care in a hospital or a clinic where I am working with patients on a regular basis (and less time in front of a computer). I know something will eventually come about, but like I said, its a bit discouraging when I see my classmates being handed jobs where they consolidated, and they're getting them where I want to be!

However, I must admit, I haven't been trying too hard yet to look for work. We went to France for a glorious vacation...I am still homesick for France, and am going through fresh bread withdrawal. I'm taking an awesome coronary care/assessment course where I am slowly starting to make sense of complex ECGs and loving it, and frankly, want to focus primarily on getting licensed. Then I will do a full-out job search for a place I really want to work in.

Its funny -- I can multi-task like mad at work or at home, but when it comes to studying, I absolutely need to focus on one thing at a time. Just studying. Studying and job searching, for example, don't mix. Study, study, study, and get it done and over with.  What an exciting life I'm leading right now. Lol

Cheers!

Almost RN Kate!!!  So close now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment