Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

Ultimate Goal ACHIEVED -- TRAUMA NURSE!!!!!

Here is a long overdue update. I've been a nurse now for almost a year. I have learned so much...and there is still so much to learn!!! I guess that's the beauty of nursing. One will always be learning. IF a nurse thinks he/she knows what they need to know, watch out. There is a-l-w-a-y-s new stuff to learn in the medical field.

I've signed the paperwork for my new job as an ER nurse. It seems hardly real to write that. I've had this dream since I was 16 years old, and discovered my passion for ER in our local hospital that I volunteered at. I never quite believed it would come true, but it finally has

I recently accepted an offer for a full time, permanent position at the hospital that is 7 minutes from my home. It is an incredible opportunity and I am going to learn so much. Once I have become a competent ER nurse, there will truly be nothing in the nursing field that I cannot do. Not that I will know everything (i.e. see para above!), but in the sense that ER nurses face, and cope with, so many unexpected and unpredictable situations, that they learn to think on their feet an act quickly, as required. One NP colleague told me recently, that once I've done this job for awhile, nothing will ever scare me in the future -- in terms of thinking there is nothing I won't be able to handle.

That does not mean I'll know exactly what to do in every situation, but that I'll have the confidence in my experience and skills to know that I'm capable of coping with situations. I believe that, and it's a great feeling.

I'm somewhat dreading the upcoming lifestyle/schedule change. It is wonderful in the clinic where I currently work - no nights, no weekends. However, I do want to learn more nursing skills. I'll be staying on at the clinic casually, but really want to gain the ER skills and knowledge.

It is going to be quite the ride....I say, bring it on!!!

Trauma RN Kate

2 comments:

  1. Wow congratulations Kate! I have followed your story all the way through and I'm so inspired by what you have achieved. I've still got a year to go before I'm finished but I can't wait to start my second career either :) Please come back from time to time and let us know how you are getting on.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jen!!! I really appreciate your kind words. I was actually wondering how you were getting on in your career change. It was the last year that seemed the longest...we were so close, yet still had so much to do and learn.

    I hope to keep the blog going. Initially, I thought of this blog would focus only on nursing school, but in reality, the making of the second career nurse goes way beyond just school. The real learning seems to start when school is done, and you're doing things on your very own, freshly minted RN license! School is just the first step. Lol.

    Best of luck to you as you get that final year done. It is definitely worth all the struggle. Not every day is great, some days are downright bad, depending on people/situations encountered, but overall, I think this is the best, most potentially rewarding career out there.

    Take care, Kate :)

    ReplyDelete